Saturday 1 June 2013

Travel Literature

Travel Literature

Part 1

To me the extract from Old Glory: A Voyage down the Mississippi was the most effective. To me it is attention grabbing from the start when there was the part where he compared the raccoons to a school boy and a beggar, he says they are good at somethings but not at others. He says this when he said that they were "Supremely talented, in a schoolboy way, at night exercises, at noisy raids on garbage cans, at climbing trees, they had no gift at all for crossing roads. Bright lights mesmerized them, and they died careless hobos' deaths on the wooded edges of tiny unincorporated towns." This added some humor into the text already. To me some of the most important parts of a Travel Log are things like humor, interesting happenings and being able to relate, which I mean like when you say "that could happen to me". But things also have to be close to the truth and not exaggerated to get it right or else you won't believe a word of the text.

Part 2

A Cross Country Tour

I cruised along in my car, the highway was relatively empty with only a few 16 wheelers and travelers like me. Besides the roadkill every once in a while and some big dairy farms once every twenty five kilometers where wasn't much, maybe those diners too. I turned on the radio and skimmed through the stations, there were your news stations, pop stations and so on. I stayed on a  country station and hummed to the tune of the song. I checked my gas meter and saw it was running low but I was fifteen kilometers to the nearest town and my remaining gas would only last eight. Either I had a long walk ahead or I had to be really, really lucky. I decided to get as far as I could then try my luck.

Eight kilometers and an empty gas tank later I pulled over to the side of the road. I got out and I tried to flag down some cars for some help but none would stop, but God help me when I looked and saw what was maybe, ten or twenty bikes riding towards me. The riders looked bad to the bone, part of a biker gang most likely. I hoped they would keep on going but of course, that didn't happen they stopped. Their leader, or at least what looked to be approached me. I was expecting some mean words or something from them but maybe that was my naivety. He flashed me a great big smile. His voice was deep and rich, not unlike that of Morgan Freeman's. He said five words. Five words that were those of an angel's.

"Do you need help son?"

Turned out they were quite nice guys despite everything that's said about them. They even gave me some gas, free of charge. I thanked them and they went on their way, even giving me an extra gasoline can in case I needed it. And so, I started up my car and drove on, towards Juarez.

2 comments:

  1. Dear all,

    This will be the last task for this year. We will resume in September 2013.

    Have a great summer!
    Lily of the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RCJJ,

    Are you quite sure that the intention of the writer in part 1 was to create humour? Though the image of squashed racoons may make you laugh, you can't ignore the imagery and diction the writer uses: are you sure that his reference to the way 'they died careless hobos' deaths' creates humour? I find this line particularly emotive as it describes uncared-for lives mercilessly and unceremoniously wasted on the roads.

    Your part 2 is well structured and shows that you can create events that the reader can relate to and believe, as you referred to in part 1. It is a little close to the events of the part 1 extract in the first paragraph, but I'm glad you created your own plot after this. Please ensure you proof read your work for some minor errors in expression.

    You focus on the writer's close description of the racoons in part 1, and you evidently found this one of the most effective elements in the extract. Currently, though you have some description or the scenery, your journey and the biker characters, none of them are particularly developed, and this means that you've missed some chances to create a stronger atmosphere and interest.

    Despite this, your piece has a well structured mix of plot, character and setting, and makes for a convincing piece of travel writing and an enjoyable read. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.